|About:||VIM-6 already has a number of the required Arabization features developed
(unicode support, a hack to support right-to-left (RTL) write ability, etc).
What is lacking is shaping code as well as a firm font/keymap definition.|
|Start Date:||Jan 16, 2001|
- The various common keyboard used out there (Arabic has 5 keyboard mappings :-)
- Shaping code ought to be modularized so that we could potentially release it stand-alone to other projects for inclusion - thoughts ?
- Bidi support is not really included (rightleft is not Bidi), what to do about this (long term question - not a show-stopper) ?
- Any thoughts from Bram about non-fixed width fonts ?
No public todos.
(Jun 03, 2003)
With the release of Vim-6.2
with Arabeyes' patches, Nadim officially crowns this project "Successfully
Complete :-)" - work will continue on bug fixes and minor modifications and/or
changes as the need arises. Special thanks to all those who helped and tested.
(May 01, 2003)
Finally, the Arabic patch gets adopted - woHOOOOO :-)
Vim-6.2c (still in ALPHA release) and test.
(Apr 19, 2003)
In a quest to get the Arabic patch adopted into Vim-6.2, Nadim, upon Bram's requests, makes the following modifications (versions 1.20, 1.21, 1.22, 1.23),
- Some code cleanup and repartitioning
- Segmentation of the code for more controllability
- UTF-8 encoding is no longer forced, user needs to set it
- Added xterm support given proper xterm configuration/invocation
- Various other changes
(Feb 26, 2003)
Nadim uploads latest patch changes to Vim-6.1.0 and beyond,
- Add all necessary documentation (:help arabic now works)
- Minor code/bug fixes
(Jan 08, 2003)
The Cream project announces a new release of gVIM including the Arabeyes Arabic patches.
For more information, please read this post
(May 22, 2002)
Nadim uploads latest code/patch
- Display Form-B shaped glyphs only (possible font spacing issues)
- Various minor clean-up
(May 01, 2002)
Added a couple VIM screenshots here and there. The first is simply viewing a file, and the second showing it searching for a string
(Mar 26, 2002)
Nadim uploads the necessary files/changes
due to VIM-6.1 release
Make sure to grab the
latest patch file
(Mar 08, 2002)
Nadim uploads a new batch of fixes and
- Complex characters (eg, LAA) are handled correctly now
- Harakat and Tanween had been fixed and enabled
Bidi remains the final frontier; Nadim notes a few tricks up his sleeve :-)
(Dec 31, 2001)
Nadim says, "Vim and Arabic are VERY usable -
go for it !!!"
Nadim urges all to read the
Nadim notes the addition of search abilities; download files
from the download section below
Nadim notes what's left for Arabic and VIM-6.0
- Addition of complex character handling (eg, LAA)
- Addition of Bidi (bi-directionality)
- Incorporating all new code/patches to VIM's main trunk/code onto
Happy New Year to all Arabic-Vim users ;-)
(Dec 10, 2001)
Nadim notes alpha release of Arabic support for VIM-6.0
Search abilities are being looked into next.
(Nov 30, 2001)
The linux/BSD inability to see shaped character problem is fixed :-)
- XFree86 bundles an
- That incomplete font file was accessed in lieu of the completed
arabeyes' version (it's first in the fp path).
- We've temporarily changed our font name to circumvent this issue.
Nadim uploads his partial hacks to CVS awaiting Bram's feedback.
(Nov 29, 2001)
Nadim reports ability to see shaped characters in his hacked code
using his SUN solaris machine.
Isam & M.Elzubeir report inability to see ANY shaped characters on
linux or FreeBSD.
Various questions have been posted to vim mailing-lists and await
The deadline, unfortunately, has been suspended awaiting external
(Nov 08, 2001)
Isam and Nadim agree to take over the work left for VIM
Isam, after some persuading :-), goes along with Nadim's
self-imposed deadline of Nov 30.
(Nov 05, 2001)
Mohammed Elzubeir announced he is ceasing his work on VIM due to
a variety of personal reasons and concedes `I wasted enough of your time,
and I have no intentions of wasting more. Don't let it be a show-stopper'.
Mr. Elzubeir also noted that he will be putting forth a summary
of all his findings into a file for another developer to take-over.
Isam Bayazidi has shown great interest, any others ?
(Sep 27, 2001)
Mohammed Elzubeir makes a PROMISE to have his VIM
Arabic-enabling code ready for beta testing (limited release) by October 8,
Mr. Elzubeir also notes his inability to contact VIM's Farsi
author for some questions regarding combining both Arabic/Farsi code (Mortaza
Shiran's email address bounces back).
(Sep 08, 2001)
Completion counter above raised to 10 :-)
Mohammed Elzubeir reported adding preliminary shaping code to a yet
untested, unreleased version. We'll have to wait for test code.
Nadim ventured further into fonts deciding to utilize ISO-10646
exclusively. Appropriate keymaps/fonts uploaded locally - unreleased.
(Sep 05, 2001)
Bram Moolenaar, VIM's developer, was informed of our work and
(Sep 02, 2001)
Nadim uploaded keymap/font files required for VIM and Arabic with
(Sep 01, 2001)
A general call went out soliciting help and participation.